Module 1
has released a plethora of information that I was not very familiar with prior
to this class. While I understood that
this was a music technology class, I did not take into account the different
means of communication within technology that came into use within this class. While I had heard of an RSS feeder before and
seen the icon, I never knew what it meant.
The instructional videos that accompanied the unit in regards to the PLN
have been very informative and important to my understanding of their purpose
and use. Dr. Bauer’s article included
diagrams and very easy to understand descriptions of the different components
of a PLN, as well as suggestions of resources to include within my own PLN
through feedly. By receiving information
in written and video format into one place, it makes for more efficient time
looking for relevant information in music education. The idea of a PLN and the Google group
provide a place for a plethora of information to be shared. The Google group is great because it includes
my classmates and other music educators sharing information that they believe
to be important for music education. It
almost acts as a filter made by colleagues for practical information in the
field of music education. I hadn’t used
Twitter before this class and actually found it to be the hardest part to learn
this week. The idea of following people
or groups was easy, but I was confused about the hash tag component. Using my friends on Facebook, however, I was
able to figure out the use of it. While
we are not using Facebook in this class, I find it to be a valuable PLN for a
variety of things, and in this case, it helped with my studies!
Technology
is very important in today’s world. We
are obviously using technology to complete this class in an “online”
setting. I do not leave my house without
my smart phone and I am constantly checking it throughout the day for email,
text messages, and even playing music or looking for an important fact for my
students. With that being said, this
dependency on technology is new to me as an adult, my students, however, have
always had an abundance of technology.
Even though I am only 28, my students are constantly telling me about
the latest apps and games available to them before I have even heard of them. Bauer (2014) refers to people like myself as
a digital immigrant and to today’s kids as digital natives. Since students are constantly surrounded by
technology, it makes sense for me to integrate technology into my music curriculum. In fact, Bauer (2014) says that teachers in
all disciplines are utilizing technology in their classes, yet goes on to say
that evidence suggests that music teachers are not making extensive use of
technology in the classroom.
It is
important that as a music educator we are practicing Technological Pedagogical
and Content Knowledge (TPACK). Bauer
(2014) goes into great detail regarding the different facets of teaching music,
but culminates with this idea of TPACK, which is a combination of the areas of
interest. Teachers need to be well
versed in their content area, have a working knowledge of pedagogy, and have
the knowledge of the latest technological advances. By exercising TPACK, the most well rounded
teacher will come to exist. It is also
emphasized that the teacher continually seeks professional development for the
latest advances in their respective field of education. Technology is constantly changing and so is
the way students learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment