Sunday, April 20, 2014

Module 7

Module 7 focused on technology that can help teachers with administrative tasks.  The readings covered many different ideas of free programs that teachers can utilize in order to improve efficiency, organization, and communication with parents and students.  While technology can be a distraction, it is easier than ever to communicate and stay organized with the many programs available for use, many free.

There were a few mini-projects associated with Google Drive this week.  Google Drive has many features that I have used in the past.  I have used sites, docs, spreadsheets, and the calendar features before.  While I have utilized these programs, I have never found them to be entirely user-friendly.  I had particular trouble making my newsletter and being to edit it appropriately from the template that I chose.  While I do appreciate the thought behind using Google Drive, it does not have the same features that are found in Microsoft programs.  In my opinion, I believe it is easier to use Microsoft and then upload the document to Google Drive.  While I could have done that for the newsletter, I wanted to be able to honestly say that I used Google Drive entirely.  I do enjoy the ability of the program to reach so many people, but did find it a bit scary that my calendar that I put in my phone through Apple’s calendar app was already loaded into my Google Calendar.  I never realized that they were synced to each other.


I do believe that I can utilize Google programs into my teaching.  I do currently use a Google Site for my band program and have also created one previously for my e-portfolio for job interviews.  I plan on incorporating the Google Calendar into my website in the next month for easy access for parents and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment